title

"Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded." - Goethe

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Goal Setting

Goal setting has been the primary motivating tool in my physical recovery. No matter what level of physical activity you are at currently, your goals should be appropriate to your fitness level. It has been very helpful for me to set small goals to work towards. For instance, if you are just starting to work more, running a marathon my be good long-term goal, but short term goals are instrumental in building momentum.

My very first goal was to be able to move my legs independently without anyone having to help me. It might not seem like a lot, but at the time it was an important step in doing seated transfers and standing. Your first step is to assess what you are capable of now, and identify the next level of activity that you want to reach.

These are some of the small goals I have had:

- move legs independently
- do seated transfer
- be able to stand independently
- walk several steps
- walk with a walker
- walk with a cane

Also, goals do not all have to be mobility related, they can also be about independent living tasks, such as cooking your own meals, or driving. The important thing is to have both long-term and short-term step by step goals. These kinds of goals give you something to work towards.

One way to think about identifying goals is to make sure that they are measurable and time-based. My most recent goals were to be able to walk up and down curbs without my cane and to be able to walk a 1/4 of a mile. My next three goals are to be able to go up stairs without my cane, to go up two flights of stairs with my cane, and to be able to walk a 1/2 a mile by the middle of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment